WRITING AND EDITING
“Self-expression without craft is for toddlers. Real artistic accomplishment requires a suspension of certitude.” – Rosanne Cash
“Who follows another follows nothing. He finds nothing, and indeed is seeking nothing.” – Montaigne
My name is Jon Sobel. I’m a freelance writer and editor. Depending on the situation, I work in different ways:
• on a purely freelance basis
• through my firm, Oren Hope Marketing & Copywriting
• on staff
I’m an Executive Editor of Blogcritics, a general-interest online magazine and a part of Technorati Media. I also edit Blogcritics’ Culture section which includes the magazine’s theater coverage along with business, politics, science and technology, travel, sports, fashion, fine arts, religion, social activism, and other topics. As a writer I’ve contributed over 700 articles and reviews.
I reported on theater for Classicalite.com.
I’ve worked as a freelance writer for the New York Post. Here’s a sample.
I’m a theater critic, a music critic, more recently even a TV critic, and a blogger. Most of my reviews are published at Blogcritics. Excerpts and shorter theater reviews have appeared at Show Showdown.
My main personal blog, Park Odyssey, is devoted to visiting and documenting all of the parks in New York City.
I contributed to the Oren Hope marketing blog, Marketing: The Business of Life. Our firm, Oren Hope Marketing & Copywriting, specializes in creating and editing marketing materials for industries including entertainment, technology, finance, and retail. Samples of our marketing copy can be found at the Oren Hope website.
JON SOBEL: WRITING SAMPLES
Technology and the Internet
– Privacy Battles Promotion on the Facebook of Our Lives
– Password Security
– LinkedIn, Watered Down
Music, Theater, Arts
For the largest and most updated selection of reviews and articles, see my writer page at Blogcritics.
– Movie Review: Man of Steel (2013)
– Theater Review (NYC): Julius Caesar (The Royal Shakespeare Company)
– Theater Review (NYC): Cyndi Lauper and Harvey Fierstein’s Kinky Boots on Broadway
– Theater Review (NYC): Macbeth Starring Alan Cumming
– TV Review: The Good Wife – “What’s in the Box?
– Women in Film (partial)
– Can Megaplexes Save Opera? (partial)
– The Child Ballads: Anaïs Mitchell and Jefferson Hamer Reboot Centuries-Old Songs
– The Lady and the Amps: The All Points West Festival
– Concert Review: Pianist Yoonie Han at the Louis K. Meisel Gallery, NYC, 3/21/13
– Interview: Megan Hilty of NBC’s Smash on Her Debut Album
– Bajofondo: The New Soul of the Tango
– Music Review: Gurf Morlix – Finds the Present Tense
– Actors and Acting: How the Lowly Have Risen
– Two Weeks in Chile
– Berlin: A Journey Into Modern History
– Park Odyssey: Visiting the New York City Parks – Every Last One of Them
– Eight Days in Argentina
– Nine Days in Wales
– New Orleans: City of Music, Food, and Beautiful Houses
– Two Weeks in Greece
Reporting and Commentary
– Wall Street, Occupied
– Disunited States (partial)
– How George Gallup Picked the President (partial)
– Hooligans and Woodchucks: The Roots of the English Language (partial)
– Here’s a Shocker: People Lie on Their Online Dating Profiles (partial)
– Barbie Bandits and Bling Rings: A Fresh Crop of Female Criminals
– Audubon’s Aviary: Portraits of Endangered Species
– Walking the Plank in New York City
– The Second Amendment: Wrong Centerpiece for the Gun Debate
– Descent into the Past: The Atlantic Avenue Tunnel
– A pre-election political piece at the Guardian Weekly (UK)
– Email: orenhope at gmail dot com
– Mobile: 347-306-0217
EDUCATION: Harvard University, BA in English and American Language and Literature