WRITING AND EDITING
“Self-expression without craft is for toddlers. Real artistic accomplishment requires a suspension of certitude.” – Rosanne Cash
“Who follows another follows nothing. He finds nothing, and indeed is seeking nothing.” – Montaigne
My name is Jon Sobel. I’m a freelance writer and editor. Depending on the situation, I work in different ways:
• on a purely freelance basis
• through my firm, Oren Hope Marketing & Copywriting
• on staff
I’m Co-Publisher and Co-Executive Editor of Blogcritics, a general-interest online magazine covering arts and culture now owned by Critical Lens Media, a company I formed with my business partner Barbara Barnett. I also edit Blogcritics’ Culture section which includes the magazine’s theater coverage along with business, politics, science and technology, travel, sports, fashion, fine arts, religion, social activism, and other topics. As a writer I’ve contributed over 700 articles and reviews.
I reported on theater for Classicalite.com.
I’ve worked as a freelance writer for the New York Post. Here’s a sample.
My main personal blog, Park Odyssey, is devoted to visiting and documenting all of the parks in New York City.
I write a column called Language Matters in Life and Business about the language of marketing, and contributed to the Oren Hope marketing blog, Marketing: The Business of Life. Our freelance practice, Oren Hope Marketing & Copywriting, specializes in creating and editing marketing materials for industries including entertainment, technology, finance, and retail. Samples of our marketing copy can be found at the Oren Hope website.
JON SOBEL: WRITING SAMPLES
Technology and the Internet
– Privacy Battles Promotion on the Facebook of Our Lives
– Password Security
– LinkedIn, Watered Down
Music, Theater, Arts
For the largest and most updated selection of reviews and articles, see my writer page at Blogcritics.
– Movie Review: Man of Steel (2013)
– Theater Review (NYC): Julius Caesar (The Royal Shakespeare Company)
– Theater Review (NYC): Cyndi Lauper and Harvey Fierstein’s Kinky Boots on Broadway
– Theater Review (NYC): Macbeth Starring Alan Cumming
– TV Review: The Good Wife – “What’s in the Box?
– Women in Film (partial)
– Can Megaplexes Save Opera? (partial)
– The Child Ballads: Anaïs Mitchell and Jefferson Hamer Reboot Centuries-Old Songs
– The Lady and the Amps: The All Points West Festival
– Concert Review: Pianist Yoonie Han at the Louis K. Meisel Gallery, NYC, 3/21/13
– Interview: Megan Hilty of NBC’s Smash on Her Debut Album
– Bajofondo: The New Soul of the Tango
– Music Review: Gurf Morlix – Finds the Present Tense
– Actors and Acting: How the Lowly Have Risen
– Two Weeks in Chile
– Berlin: A Journey Into Modern History
– Park Odyssey: Visiting the New York City Parks – Every Last One of Them
– Eight Days in Argentina
– Nine Days in Wales
– New Orleans: City of Music, Food, and Beautiful Houses
– Two Weeks in Greece
Reporting and Commentary
– Wall Street, Occupied
– Disunited States (partial)
– How George Gallup Picked the President (partial)
– Hooligans and Woodchucks: The Roots of the English Language (partial)
– Here’s a Shocker: People Lie on Their Online Dating Profiles (partial)
– Barbie Bandits and Bling Rings: A Fresh Crop of Female Criminals
– Audubon’s Aviary: Portraits of Endangered Species
– Walking the Plank in New York City
– The Second Amendment: Wrong Centerpiece for the Gun Debate
– Descent into the Past: The Atlantic Avenue Tunnel
– A pre-election political piece at the Guardian Weekly (UK)
– Email: orenhope at gmail dot com
– Mobile: 347-306-0217
EDUCATION: Harvard University, BA in English and American Language and Literature